Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Upgrade or Not?

Samsung Galaxy Note 4




Samsung Galaxy Note 4 was officially announced last September 3, few days earlier than the announcement of Apple's iPhone 6 (and iPhone 6 Plus). I am (or was?) known to get an upgrade as soon as a new release or version is introduced to the market. With the release of Note 4, I am quite hesitant to do the upgrade as I am still not sure if it's worth the money. I read the specs of Note 4, assessed its reviews and compared it with my current Note 3. 

The main differences between the two versions are shown below.



Display

Note 4 has the same 5.7-inch display as the Note 3 with the difference in the resolution. Note 4 comes in at 1440 x 2560, compared to 1080p display on Note 3. 

Camera and Battery

Note 4's camera has been bumped up to 16MP from 13MP in Note 3 and can now take panorama "wefies" when taking selfies with groups of people. The battery is only 20mAH bigger than that of Note 3 but Samsung says it gets considerably more life. And by the way, fast charging has been added (i.e., 50% charged in 30 minutes).

Software

Multi-window is made much easier in Note 4 by adding mouse-life features to the S Pen. Samsung is saying it's now easier than ever to copy text and take multiple screenshots.

Read the source here for full details.


iPhone 6


Yesterday, Apple announced its new offering in the market, iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus. I used to be an Apple fan having started with the original iPhone up to iPhone 4. Every new release Apple introduced, I immediately got an upgrade. Not certainly sure why it happened though :)

I also read the specs and comparisons of iPhone 6 Plus, which is definitely the first phablet of Apple. At first, I was quite interested because of the new design, 128gb storage capacity, "slow-mo" effect of video capture, and the wallet within. But with the comparison of the features between iPhone 6 Plus and Note 4, it looks like, at least to me, that Note 4 is still ahead.




The question now is am I convinced to get an upgrade? With this limited information, I think I am not getting one. I'll just wait for Note 5. :P



No comments:

Post a Comment